Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Russian Lawrence Welk?

I continue to be fascinated by this video, circa the late 1970's, of Eduard Ghil, a Russian entertainer singing a song that has no lyrics (entitled "I Am So Glad I Am Finally Coming Back Home!," subtitled "Vocalization") and has already become an Internet meme. I'm not sure why this appeals to me so much - it is as much for the "camp" value as it is completely the antithesis of our former arch-enemy, the Soviet Union.

Rumor has it that this song actually does have lyrics (about an American cowboy returning home after being out on the range), but Soviet censors forbade Ghil to sing them because they put the U.S. in too favorable of a light.

When you watch this video, note the half-hearted attempt by Ghil to do a credible job lip-synching as well as his somewhat comic facial expressions and gestures. Of course, you may find plenty of humor just taking note of his 70's-era suit or the Welk-esque production values.

Here's to you, Mr. Ghil! My fondest wish is that you reprise this song live for American television some day.

From our hill to yours,

Michael

No comments: